Sunday, May 5, 2019

Downtown

The Big Day was finally here. Daughter and I had an appointment to have our hair and makeup done downtown.



 The only time I have to do anything remotely like this is when my kids get married. I'm 3 for 3 now so my hair and makeup days are hopefully over. I hate having people fuss over me but I have to say the ladies at this salon were so much fun I could have sat there all day.



 The wedding was an intimate affair. Bride was married in a pretty little nook in the building where she works. The view was spectacular.



 In case you were wondering what color polish I picked, it was the jade green. Daughter thought it should be pink but the old hippie in me couldn't do anything that tame. And yes, those are pantyhose. I just can't do the bare legs. Good thing. When I went to put the hose on I discovered that I had only shaved one leg. I had also twisted my sandal strap and never noticed it until after the ceremony. Goodness. Below the waist, my freak flag was definitely flying.



 Big Grand was one of the two ring bearers. He did a great job. Eight years ago when our groom was his brother's best man he dropped the ring. We have never let him forget it.



 After the wedding we all took a walk around the building where the famous Spirit of Detroit statue sits while the photographer snapped shots of us.



 On the walk I wondered why there were Canadian flags flying across the street. I was surprised to learn that it was because it was CANADA. I had no idea we were so close to the border.



The reception dinner was held at a restaurant which just so happened to be right across the street from the house I rented. I didn't plan it. It was just very good luck.



The venue was beautiful. All the places we visited were amazing. Wonderful food, wonderful service. Detroit is home to some of the nicest people I have ever met.



I took up residence at the cheese platter. I am probably going to pay for it but it will be worth it. Best. Cheese. Ever.



 Dinner was family style. We kept getting served little bowls of yummy concoctions that had us non meat eaters in mind. Son is a vegan so for once I got to eat as much as everyone else. So many dining experiences end up with me just getting a plate of french fries. Not here.



No cake. Son is not a cake fan so they had a variety of pies from the Sister Pie bakery brought in. If you are ever in Detroit your first stop has to be to get a slice of this pie. Best. Pie. Ever.



The last thing that had to be done to end the wonderful day was to pull out the ten thousand bobby pins that were holding my hair in place. It's been a wedding ritual that feels kind of sad tonight. The fairy tale is over-for good this time. I didn't shed a tear all weekend but now, I think I need a good cry.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such lovely photos with us. It looks and sounds as though the entire wedding was very well thought out and very personal, which is how it should be. I had no idea Detroit was so close to Canada either. I'll have to check that out on a map. I find things like that very interesting. Loved the toenails, sandal strap and your hair looks lovely.
    I'm wishing you lots of hugs and happy tears tonight. I imagine it feels like a chapter is done, but a new one is beginning!
    Blessings always my friend,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day! Sometimes it is a relief that the day is over...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it looks and sounds like a wonderful day. And think of it this way- hopefully you won't ever need a head full of bobby pins again, because that will mean that your kids are all happily married. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful event, bittersweet though it may have been. I've been happily excited waiting for my own son to announce his engagement, yet I know that when he does, I will cry like a little baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Deb....you really made me laugh ........because it IS Canada!!! I never realized it was that close either.

    Glad you had a wonderful day and best wishes to the bride and groom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You created some wonderful new memories. Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful photos and beautiful views! Love your sandals and the polish you decided on for toenails. Sounds as though it was a perfect wedding and wonderful memories. Wishing you a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww honey. What a beautiful venue and I LOVE your polish choice. I love your hair. I hate getting dressed up . Im so glad you had a fantastic time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! It looks like a wonderful wedding. I much prefer the more intimate kinds. And now all three are married off! Mine are clearly going to pair off on the late side -- which is fine. I just want them to be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful time every inch of the way-thanks for the photos-so enjoyable for us to get a peek! I am so happy for all of you and now, a good cry is always in order! (you have to balance all those smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so far behind I apologize. The wedding looked wonderful, intimate and beautiful. I grew up near Detroit so I had a chuckle about you being surprised Canada was right across the river. We used to drive over the bridge or through the tunnel to get pizza. Congrats on a beautiful occasion. Love your toes by the way.

    ReplyDelete