Thursday, May 16, 2019

Blame It On the Winder

 I took a close look at that naughty sock project yesterday morning to figure out why I wasn't happy with it. I like stripes. The yarn is pleasant enough to work with and those are some new Caspian needles that are really pretty. As soon as I had knit a row I figured it out. Yarn barf.



Ever since I dropped my winder and had The Mister fix it I can't seem to wind a decent cake. There is always a mess in the middle which creates tangle upon tangle as you try to pull from the center. Instead of knitting I rolled the mess into a ball which made a world of difference. Miss Sock is now on the toe.




Since Daughter gave me a Knit Picks gift card for Mother's Day I guess I know what I'll be buying.





10 comments:

  1. I have the same winder adn the same problem (though mine wasn't dropped.). I've given up on it. I hand wind into a ball right from the swift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to invest in a nice wooden ball winder instead of my plastic one, but I just can't justify the cost. But...yarn barf. It's awful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you worked out the issue.

    I have a KnitPicks ball winder. Sometimes you get yarn barf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful that you figured out what was causing the problem and it wasn't the knitter! That yarn reminds me of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KnitPicks has a new winder with more metal gears-I'm due for a new one, too--mine skips and gives me the same issues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently, I had the same problem. I struggled with one cake and got frustrated and finally cut the yarn. I determined the winder was somehow at fault, so I ordered a new one from Knit Picks, and the problem was solved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an old Knit Picks winder that still works pretty good - knock on wood. What I really, really want is their black swift. I just think it's gorgeous! But there's absolutely nothing wrong with the swift I have and there's just no way I can justify buying another just because it's pretty. But one day....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a winder but rarely use it. I just throw the yarn on the back of a chair and wind it up into a ball all by myself. It helps me get to know the yarn if that even makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you figured out the problem! Sometimes the old ways are best, aren't they? Love the colors in that yarn.

    ReplyDelete