Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Trial and Error

As I mentioned yesterday, I have a giant pile of quilt tops of Daddio's that need quilting so I decided to try and figure out how to machine quilt. I have the machine. I have the darning foot. I have the spray basting but what I lack is any common sense when it comes to sewing.

I watched at least a dozen You Tube tutorials before I got started spray basting together a pile of little quilt sandwiches to practice on.

I wanted to learn to stipple. My first attempts didn't look too bad.....

...until I turned it over. Oh my. I seem to have a serious tension issue. Didn't someone say to turn it up as high as it will go? I did just that and only got worse results. Sandwich after sandwich I ruined until I gave up and went to bed. The next morning I did more research and a lovely commenter on a quilt forum mention to someone who was having the same trouble that it is very easy to forget to put the pressure foot down when using a darning foot. The tension plates don't work in the up position.

Problem solved. Sort of. I still need to fine tune the tension but at least I don't have any more bird's nests. Now I need to work up the courage to try this on a real quilt top-after lots more practice, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment