Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Stormy Finish

Last week we had a terrible storm blow through here. I had just finished blocking my Pimpelliese when The Mister said we needed to go sit it out in the basement. I quickly packed my wheels and loom into an interior bathroom, headed downstairs with all the fur babies and hoped for the best.

We escaped with just a big mess in the yard so the next morning I posed the little shawl with some minor debris on the deck.

 I am so happy my little shawl made it safely through the storm. I really, really like it. I was never a fan of garter stitch but thanks to my Color Affection and now this, I am rethinking my thinking. This is the perfect pattern for psychedelic roving-simple enough for all the crazy color changes without being boring.

I should also mention that this project was three years in the making. I began spinning this gorgeous Pucker Brush Farm Merino on the train coming home from Rhinebeck in 2009 with my equally brand new little Golding spindle. I was deathly ill with swine flu at the time so this project got pushed so far back in the queue that I pretty much forgot about it until I made plans to return to Rhinebeck this October. Of course, October is still a very long way away and the way stuff happens around here I won't be surprised if this year turns out to be a no-go also. There's always 2013.



4 comments:

  1. I hope you make it up this year. I have yet to get there...and we have a move to make over the next few months...ahh, yes, maybe 2013 will be the lucky year. I've always liked 13's! Lovely shawl - the colours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks like you got away from too much wind damage.
    You are making me rethink of the shawl I'm currently spinning for!!! I really like the vertical stripes that yours has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliments! I never thought about those stripes being vertical but now that I think about it, it is what makes this shawl so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if you got caught in those storms when I read about them in the news. The shawl is very pretty - sometimes there's some just so perfect about simplicity!

    ReplyDelete