Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Note to Self

Warp the two colors like any other warp, just put 3 in a slot and 1 in the hole-one heddle at a time! See those two heddle being warped together? Wrong!
This blog post is not intended for anyone other than me. I am writing myself a tutorial on how to set my loom up for double weaving because apparently I can't remember anything anymore.

Check to see you actually did this. It is too easy to confuse the slots.
 I sat down to warp another double weave to see if it would look better if I used a fuzzy yarn but I couldn't figure out how I did it. I knew I had done it, but how?

Roll it up as usual.
I got out my book and read the same chapter and followed the same directions but this time ended up with different (wrong) results. I watched the You Tube tutorial about a million times-also with no luck.


As I said before, don't be an idiot and try to warp both heddles at the same time-it doesn't work!

So I decided to chronicle my efforts while figuring this out in order to spare myself from going through this again.

It is very fiddly getting behind the first heddle to pull stuff through. Deal with it.
 I was in tears when I could not get this to work after I had been so smug about figuring it out in the first place.

This is what happens if the yarn twists when you tie it off. Check it before you set up the pick up sticks.

 I was starting to question my own sanity.

When all else fails get someone else to look at what you did.
In desperation, I even got The Mister involved. It helped to talk my way through the process with someone who knew nothing about what I was trying to do. Every suggestion he made was dumb as hell but it got me thinking.

The bottom line is that you want the pick up sticks to work the slots. Heddle 1 threads are on top and 2 on the bottom.
I figured out that just following directions blindly doesn't work if you don't really understand what is happening and so many books and videos leave out the "why". Without the "why" you can't problem solve when things go wrong. I sat there redoing and undoing the same thing for hours until I figured out what I was really trying to do-which was actually very simple.
Check those edges often! The one on the left is really the middle so pull it tight.
All's well that ends well I suppose. I've got it working but whether it works still remains to be seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment