Friday, July 27, 2012

A Rose is a Rose

This is a hard post to write. I have had the bejeezus scared out of me all summer by lawyers so I have to be careful about what I say. I also have to be careful about what photos I use as I certainly don't want to infringe on anyone's rights here. That's me up there. I took that photo in 2008 during the opening ceremony in Beijing. It's mine but those circular objects are not. I can't use the r-word. Apparently they own that too.  I don't want to pay anyone a million dollars for the use of it but I am still going to take a chance that I can get away with it. If this post disappears, you will know I didn't.

We all know what tonight is. We are all casting on once again but this time around it doesn't feel quite so good. I used to be an Olympic junkie. I cried my way through the whole thing totally awash in the spirit of good will. Not anymore. Right now I am sitting here wondering if Casey is going to sue me for using his logo. That's where the world is now.

This is what happened to my 2008 Ravel-you-know-what project. It came unraveled and that is pretty much how I feel about the whole thing right now. I have no idea how I am going to blog about this event when I can't even use any images of those shiny things on ribbons that some people get to put around their necks. They own the rights to those images and the words too. Golly. It's going to be a depressing couple of weeks here in Blogland. Can I say Blogland or does someone already own that word too?

2 comments:

  1. Don't let all those greedy SOB's ruin your excitement for the Olympics (am I allowed to say that word?). Take a six pack ring and cut it up to look like the real "you know what" and make do with that. Unless someone owns the rights to the six pack rings, then you're just plain out of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look on the bright side. I know of a law firm in Denver that sued the USOC (am I allowed to use that name?) on behalf of a client. The plaintiff was right, but the USOC (oops, there I go again) won.

    The bright side is this: the USOC never apologizes. NEVER. And yet we (the 2,000,000 strong knitters, weavers, crocheters, dyers,, spinners, etc.) received not one but two apologies. In the process, the USOC (oh, to hell with it) got so much adverse publicity that, weeks, later, they're still wiping the egg off their faces.

    Cheer for the athletes--from all the countries around the world--as you happily knit away. The USOC probably wouldn't know one end of a javelin from the other--or for that matter, one end of a crochet hook from the other. It's the kids who've worked so hard to get to London who matter.

    ReplyDelete