Sunday, July 15, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect

The whole time I have been spinning my beloved Loop Bullseye Bump I have been fretting over how to ply it. In order to save the beautiful gradient coloring I have to chain ply it. I have never done that on anything as thin as this so I decided to practice doing it on something else first.

I dug around in the stash and found an ancient bag of Corriedale I had bought on ebay from Red Barn Farm long before buying fiber became big business. That Hefty bag is the original wrapper. I paid less than $10 for the whole four ounces-today I think nothing of dropping $40 on an even smaller a bag of fancy fluff.

I learned to spin using this stuff and I can see why. They pre-draft it after dyeing so it spins like a dream. It just does what it is supposed to do before you even think about trying to make it do anything. I was happy to see that they still sell it from their own website now (in prettier packaging) and that it's still a bargain for just under $10. It's not next-to-your-skin soft but it spins up quickly into very pretty and hard wearing sock yarn.

1 comment: