Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Family Matters

 

A few months ago Daughter shared her 23 and Me results with me and I was intrigued. Her ancestry was not at all what I expected (Switzerland, Turkey?) and I wanted to know how much of it was me and how much was her dad so I took my own test and.....




...not surprising I am 71% British and Irish from the West Lancashire and Merseyside area. I'm also 23% French and German. I know I have a great, great grandmother from Prussia so that was also no surprise. I was surprised to have also had a Sub-Saharan African relative from Angola about 5 generations back. Since my dad's family has been here since Jamestown it's most likely a page from our ugly chapter on slavery. The first slaves to Virginia were from Angola. My original settler relative also happened to be the first dude executed in the new world for treason. We discovered that lovely tidbit on Ancestry.com a few years ago. 



What was a BIG surprise is that I HAVE A HALF BROTHER. Three years ago Daughter was contacted by someone via 23&Me asking about her relatives as her dad turned out to be a close relative of hers. He was adopted from an orphanage in Baltimore in 1953 the same year I was born and was looking for his parents. He is one month older than me. We didn't think anything of it until I did my test and made my profile public yesterday and suddenly he popped up as MY HALF BROTHER. The fact that he looks just like Daddio seals the deal. Oh, my....it's too bad they are gone because my parents HAVE A LOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO. The 50's were a wild time. 


6 comments:

  1. The secrets that families kept....If only they had written things down in a journal somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes things come out. My sister and I found out a lot when we cleaned out our parents' house. In a way, it was kind of a shame because it would have been nice to talk about those things with my mother. They only felt secret and illicit because they had been hidden away for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is amazing how many family skeletons are seeing the light of day with DNA testing. Especially because all the "hush-hush" stuff that went on when ladies got pregnant under less than ideal circumstances in the first half of the century.
    Will you try to make arrangements to meet your half brother?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I have some half siblings bouncing around somewhere that no one ever mentioned to me. Families can be really good at hiding stuff. Interesting about the family connection to Jamestown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an interesting story. Sometimes good things come out of those DNA tests and sometimes not so good. Your history in Jamestown is really interesting. I'm amazed at the detail of those tests.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a surprise that was! I hope you can talk to him and get more information!

    ReplyDelete