Monday, December 17, 2012

The Year of Cake


I have a rule about gifts. I should be able to eat, drink or burn them. In other words, I have no room for anything. This year the family took heed and for my birthday, I had my fill of yummy things. I had two ice cream cakes. This one from The Mister...

...and this one from Daughter.


The day before I shared this amazing cake with #1 Son and Dear Daughter in Law. We are all December babies, Son on the 17th (today!) and Dear Daughter-in-Law follows on the 19th. Their son should be born around the 20th. Yowza.

 I was also gifted this giant box of delicious peppermint bark by Son and Wife.

Daughter gave me a star for my tree. She gives me one every year. This one is from Crate and Barrel....

....as is this pair of kitchen shears that I really, really needed-also from Daughter and her Hubby.

The Mister, romantic fool that he is, surprised me with a new set of pots and pans from Ikea. In his defense, I asked for them. I pointed them out on our Christmas pilgrimage and am happy he remembered. I used them to cook myself a spaghetti dinner and I ate and ate and ate. I only turn 59 once so I set out to enjoy every mouthful of it.

Here is my official year-before-60 self portrait sans make up. I can't see a thing without my glasses anymore and I can't wear anything but the barest of clothing in even the coldest weather in order to ward off the dreaded hot flash but I am more comfortable in this old skin than I ever was in the younger version. As Brigitte Bardot once said " It's sad to grow old, but nice to ripen." 



5 comments:

  1. You don't look a day over thirty! And you've just sent me into a food frenzy with all those pictures of cake!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do NOT look 59!!! You look darn fantastic! And all that cake has made me hungry.

    We are a family of December babies too - Niece on the 8th, Me on the 12th, brother and cousin on the 13th, best friend's son on the 14th, Dad and close friend on the 18th, and grandmother on the 22nd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday..you look beautiful!!!!!!!

    I want that first piece of cake.....

    and I need a shears too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday
    you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot of wows in your post but all I can say is wow to your self portrait. You look good girl!
    Enjoy your last-year-before-60!!

    ReplyDelete