Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy December!

I am a bona fide Scrooge when it comes to Christmas. The kid-me and the adult-me never came to a meeting of the minds about a holiday that for me, is filled with emotional land mines. As a result, I have to tread lightly in order to keep that holiday spirit going until New Year's.

The first of December, I always carefully unwrap the most precious of all my Christmas memories, the twinkle lamp that my mother gave me that matched the one we had when I was a child. She found it in a thrift shop. My dad re-wired it and they were both bursting with excitement the day they brought it over to surprise me.

As a child, I was smitten by the original's warm glow and happy twinkle. I can still see myself snuggled on the corner of my parent's couch half watching the lamp and half watching Charlie Brown's Christmas. Of course in my mind, at the same time, snow was falling. Once or twice it did but more often than not it was cold and rainy. No matter. Mom would fire up her fake fireplace, put Mitch Miller on the stereo and no matter what was going on in the world outside, we would be safe and warm in that happy Christmas Land that the adult-me has a hard time finding these days.

3 comments:

  1. That new little Grandson should help you find that happy Christmas Land again!! He will help you see it through the eyes of a child again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, SOrry it is hard for you. The Holidays have that PERFECTION tag all over them and its just not realistic.
    Glad you have a happy parental memory to start the season up.

    May a little glimpse of Joy surprise you each day this year until Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  3. you summed up how I have felt about Christmas for many years....the arrival of grandchildren has largely changed that. It will for you too, but there are still all those nostalgic memories and people missing...it is a bittersweet time of year for sure.
    Love the twinkle light.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete