Saturday, February 4, 2023

A Yarn Explosion

 

I had a sock yarn disaster the other day. The lid of my giant under bed box where I keep my sock yarn stash snapped in half. There would be no way to keep the dust bunnies out so all my beauties needed a new home. 



I won't say I didn't enjoy sorting it all out. It was a good project for a miserably cold and windy day. I was waiting for Amazon to bring me a replacement bin that I hoped would work.




I've got some real beauties. Here is my Knit Picks collection. I bet most of you can name the collection and colorway of each of them. I've seen them being knit up many times on your blogs. That's probably why I bought them.





I had no idea I had THREE skeins of Valerie's wonderful sock yarn buried under it all. If you've ever had the pleasure of using her yarn you know how precious these are now that she isn't dyeing anymore. 




How much Felici is too much? The answer of course is that there is no such thing as too much Felici. Honestly, I love knitting with it but it makes a rather floppy sock that doesn't hold up but I still love it. Looking at this photo only makes me want to buy more. That really isn't enough Felici, is it? 





Anyone remember this? It's that sock yarn made from wool and crab shells. It was all the rage at one time. I never used it but I do like the little crab on the label.





Another fad that didn't take off is the sock yarn that came in reels. I bought three, knit with one and hated it. Knitting with kinky yarn is no fun. 




But among the clunkers there is also a world of beauty. I can tell you exactly at what Fiber Fest I picked up each of these glorious skeins. I pull them out all the time to use and then put them back in the bin. I can't use them. I know it sounds crazy but they are meant to be what they are and sometimes you just have to respect that. If I didn't have a house full of cats I'd put them on display but that's just asking for trouble around here and no skein deserves what my kitties like to dish out when it comes to yarn. 














6 comments:

  1. Beautiful yarn! I just discovered a skein of Valerie's yarn when I was going through my stash the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous yarns. Curious about the sock reels, where did you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came from Knit Picks. It's actually Hawthorne but it sure doesn't knit up like Hawthorne. It's weirdly plastic feeling and a bit scratchy.

      Delete
  3. Wow that is a lot of sock yarn! I don't have a stash at all so am always intrigued by other knitters' stashes. You have some beautiful yarns there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've enjoyed seeing all of my family wearing my socks while on this visit! What a beautiful collection of yarnish memories!

    ReplyDelete