Monday, December 15, 2014

A Knitter's Worst Knightmare

 Here I am in the ER once again but this time not with Daddio.


At 8am Saturday morning on the way to work at the ice rink, my right hand didn't play nice with the car door. My poor thumb caught the worst of it. I'll spare you the gory details but by 4 that afternoon the pain and swelling was so intense, I left my friend's birthday party and drove myself straight to the hospital.


I pretty much knew what was coming. To relieve the swelling I had to have holes drilled into my thumbnail and then have the congealed blood expressed. Ohhhh....it was a long night. Mercifully, there was no fracture so I will only be out of commission for a few days in this contraption but a few days is too many for my Advent KAL. Even so, I doubt I'll be able to handle the fine needles and yarn for a while. Sigh... Oh well, it could have been worse. I just wish I'd gotten those Christmas cards written sooner.

7 comments:

  1. Oh no, I know how that hurts! I did the same thing 4 years ago in December, too, but didn't go to the ER. Yours sounds a lot worse. (Mine got caught in my friend's keyless car door and it took what seemed like forever for her to come to my rescue.)The nail finally came off and looked pretty good in time for our younger daughter's wedding the following April. The nail is still kind of weird though.Sending big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, poor you; just when you'd been doing all sorts of knitting for yourself for a while. I hope you're not in too much pain and it heals nice and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disaster! So sorry! It is so hard to be mortal....

    ReplyDelete
  4. no no no!! Oh my. Time to thumb (haha) through patterns and ravelry while the finger heals. OUCH OUCHOUCH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! That has to hurt so much. It will heal quickly! Relax and watch Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! And I thought my wrist troubles were bad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eegads, reading that I saw start myself for a moment there. Lame! You're so crafty, but rest up, heal up (fast!). I think there is some special winter cocktail prescribed with cake for that ;)

    ReplyDelete