Saturday, March 2, 2024

Love. Actually

 

You know that first scene in the movie Love, Actually where everyone is hugging and kissing at the airport? That scene always brings me to tears. I got to replay that scene on Thursday night but instead of an airport it was an emergency vet clinic.




Pup was sick. Scary sick. Not the "I throw up once and then beg for food" sick but the laid out, no eating sick for about 48 hours. Just when I thought she was getting better, she got sick again that late afternoon so off The Mister and I went to the doggy ER to get her looked at. After a 45 minute drive there, it was a 5 hour wait just to see the vet so I spent a lot of time watching people coming and going. The love we have for our pets is remarkable. So much worry, so much joy, so many emotions we saw from everyone who came and went through the night. Every one had a story. I had to get out the tissues several times. 




The long story short is that they couldn't find anything scary wrong with Pup. All the labs and x-rays came out normal for an old dog with an upset tummy. We have to keep her quiet and feed her bland food until she snaps out of it. She got fluids injected, a shot for nausea and a pro-biotic. 



It was a very long and very expensive night but worth every penny. I can't say enough good things about the wonderful vets and staff at this particular clinic. I'm happy to say Pup did eat some food when we got home that night and kept it down but we were not well yet. The next day was rough. She was all worn out from her big adventure and still wouldn't eat or drink. Poor old thing.  




And.....through the magic of blog time, I can say that as of today she's doing a bit better. She's still on a restricted bland diet but it's finally staying where it's supposed to-most of the time. Her appetite and energy level are not quite back to normal. She's only supposed to get short walks from now on. Not surprisingly, her x-rays showed lots of ugly things happening in her knees. Add that to her missing hip joint and we could be in a world of hurt again if we don't restrict her motion. It's short walks from now on with more riding in her doggy buggy. Poor old thing. 














7 comments:

  1. Poor Pup. I'm sorry she's not feeling well. It's hard, like having a small baby who can't tell you where they hurt. When we lost our Chloe three years ago, we said no more pets, it hurts too much. Well, look at us now. Zoey has us wrapped around her paws. We adore her, just like you and Pup. I'm glad she's a bit better now. I have a stroller for Zoey but have never used it. I'm keeping it for the future though. You never know. You need to get some rest too.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that scene in Love, Actually and love your love and care for Pup. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure hope pup feels lots better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor Pup! I'm sorry she's still feeling poorly but hope she continues to improve bit by bit.

    Have you ever spoke with your vet about CBD for Pup? I was extremely skeptical but saw how well it worked for our old dog Pilot (rest his puppy soul) and now also for Scout. It can help with mobility and inflammation and to me is kind of a miracle worker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope Pup continues to improve and everyone gets a good nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how awful! I'm glad it wasn't something dreadful but still scary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a scare! Burton has done that to me a couple times! Dave says he does it just to get attention.

    ReplyDelete