Friday, March 22, 2024

Friday Fluff

 

The yak singles are finished. Now they get to sit for a bit before I can ply them.



Now I'm thinking "what comes next" so I went stash diving and found lots of bags of solid color merino. 



There's a lady in the UK on Tik Tok Live that cards up batts to order using a method I'd never seen before. She bypasses the bottom roller and just lays the fiber on the top as the carder spins. Since the fiber has already been processed you can do it this way.





What she gets are custom colored batts that you can watch her make while she chats with you over color choices. It's pretty cool. 




I had loads of fun adding layers of colors to a base of light green. Now I want all the colors. I'll have to buy more. 




Since I have a small carder, I only got about one ounce out of my first try. I'll have to do this four more times to get enough for a project which is not a problem since it was fun and not at all messy. I usually have to take my fiber stuff outside but there wasn't a speck of fiber where it shouldn't be when I was done. 





And.....since we are on the subject of spinning, here's my handspun Garter Squish getting ripped back yesterday. I had added an orange section and I HATED IT. It was too bright and looked all wrong so off it went to the frog pond. 





I didn't have any problem finding something else for that section. I've got boxes and boxes of wonky handspun that up until that awful orange, played very nicely together in the Garter Squish. 










4 comments:

  1. Your yak singles are lovely and I look forward to seeing them plied. That batt looks like Easter-colored cotton candy. Have fun making more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to card up a unique batt! It should spin up beautifully! The garter squish looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That garter squish is looking lovely and I agree with you about the orange, the new color is much better. I have never seen that method of carding either. I do think the results are beautiful though and can see how it would cut down on the "fluff". You make me miss all of my spinning days, but I enjoy seeing your batty creations!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete