Sunday, July 30, 2023

Hot Stuff

 

It's been interesting trying to find shady spots to walk Pup during this heatwave. 



The boardwalk is too hot so we're always looking for grass. 




We hadn't been to the wetland park in a while and we discovered they have a new cute little nature center. 





And a big butterfly out front. 




The waterlilies at the koi pond across from the beach are all in bloom but the sidewalk's been too hot to walk on. We run from shady spot to shady spot.





That doesn't stop these crazy people. The beach was packed. The water temperature is 84 degrees right now.  They had a cooling station set up which was a mesh tent that put out a mist of water. I'd never seen anything like it. I want one. 




My black vulture friend has also been feeling the heat. She/he showed up with two white tufted babies again this year and I've been keeping plenty of fresh cold water outside for them. They are not shy about coming for a big drink and a tin of leftover cat food every morning. My little flock will be flying away at the end of the summer but until then it'll be fun watching those babies grow. I know I'm in the minority but I think they are the cutest things.
















4 comments:

  1. Well, I can't say I've ever called a vulture "cute", but I do appreciate that they clean up "the messes" around here. Enjoy them while they are there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the waterlilies are making me swoon. Dave and I both want to put a pond in the new shade garden. We are arguing over whether it needs fish or not - while I would love fish, it makes it a much more expensive project. But Dave says is HAS to have fish. Always the best for that one! LOl

    Love the vultures. There are tonnes of them around here - lots of roadkill

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice area you live in--especially when it becomes a bit more temperate! Glad your vultures are still a part of your menagerie! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This heat has been just plain nasty. Today was a bit cooler at only 87 but the humidity was still very high. A thunderstorm passed through around 5:00 and made it even more humid. I had hoped it would cool it down a bit. We do the same with Zoey. Carry her across the pavement to the grass.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete