I finished the machine quilting of the Sunflower quilt and have been working on the binding a little at a time. It's a lot of quilt.
I figured that by today I would be posting my big finish.....but I'm not. It all went horribly wrong. I've spent the last two days trying to save it then giving up and ripping it all off.
I should have been listening to my quilting spidey sense because the binding material that came with the kit was weird. Really weird. It was oddly stretchy, thin and very shreddy. It was awful to work with and it puckered up badly when I tried to sew it down to the front with the machine. So off it all came. What a chore.
I have a big box of 30's reproduction fabric leftover from Dad in the stash so I went diving for a replacement.
In the bottom of the box I found this plaid that looks very similar only it's actual material-not that weird stuff that is now in the trash. I have lots of prettier choices but I think I'm going to stay close to the designer's vision and use the plaid-but not today. Being the 13th, and having had no luck I think I'll wait until tomorrow to get started again.
I llike the fabric you chose to replace the icky stuff. I've tried to sew with strange feeling fabrics before and it's not fun at all. Just think, tomorrow will be a whole new day and a fresh start! I'm looking forward to seeing the finish.ReplyDelete
How frustrating to have a kit with poor materials. Glad you found a replacement - good luck!ReplyDelete
The new plaid is an excellent choice!ReplyDelete
Good choice for the replacement binding. I don’t like working with solids because they ravel terribly for me.ReplyDelete
The right kind of fabric sure makes a difference! You are almost at the finish line!ReplyDelete