Monday, November 23, 2015

Where You'd Least Expect

 Look what Daughter found at the ice rink yesterday. As we were heading out after a very long day of practice, she glanced over at the front desk and found something very interesting going on. It's not everyday you run into doublepoints in action.


Of course I had to go over and stick my nose in it and see what the pattern was and then ask to take photos by explaining I have a sort of knitting blog that lately has been more about random junk than it has about knitting because life is just like that sometimes.


As soon as I got home I added the fabulously slouchy hat with the amazing tassel to my oh, so ridiculously long queue. You can find it here-and it's free!




As for my fruitcake recipe that was requested yesterday, I am going to admit that it comes from an ancient Betty Crocker recipe and you can find it here. I soak my raisins and currents in warm brandy before I add them to the batter. It keeps them from drying out during the long baking time.


9 comments:

  1. Well, that hat is now in my queue as well. :-)

    Betty Crocker recipes are some of the best. I have an ancient Betty Crocker cookbook with some of my favorite recipes of all time marked in it. Sometimes you can't improve something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always approach a knitter when I see one! We know there are a lot of us but it is still unusual to see one knitting in public! Good pattern, thanks! Happy fruit-caking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandy! Oh there's the ticket!
    I love the hat and I always stick my nose in others knitting in public. Not to is kind of an insult I think!
    You won btw. Gifties small but sweet will be mailed to you later in the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh crap.. I think that's another hat pattern for my queue too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cake is also ready for Chrismas. It's a recipe from BBC Good Food mag. I feed the cake with brandy every other week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too! By Christmas mine is nice and boozy. What I want to do is make marzipan icing one day.

      Delete
  6. I love how you ran into the pattern. Fantastic! I'm obsessing with this fruitcake recipe. Keeping one cup of flour separate for the fruit and nuts is baffling to me. I think I'm going to do all dried fruit and no candied fruit. shh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That;s Alton Brown's Free Range Fruitcake and it's been on my to-do list forever.
      http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/free-range-fruitcake-recipe.html

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link to the recipe and hat pattern. That's a really cute hat!

    ReplyDelete