This week's costume work involved altering a nun's outfit so it could be skated in. This is for our Miss Clavel.
Our Madeline's are all wearing school uniforms that we bought online. All I had to do was stick the black ribbons onto the hats with some craft dots so they wouldn't blow off onto the ice. Sweet.
My big adventure was making a witch apron for myself. I bought a slinky black witch dress at Walmart at Halloween but I am not exactly the slinky type. The apron will hide all sins and make me more of a fun fairytale type witch than just a regular old wicked witch.
For the first time ever I used a pattern I printed off the internet that came with an online tutorial. The online photos and diagrams really helped me figure it out as I went along although it was not exactly a piece of cake to make.
I loved the flounces but they were tricky. If you are good at quilting half square triangles they should be very familiar.
The worst part was the skirt. It was made of three 18x22 inch widths of fabric that had to be cut and then sewn together. That wasn't the hard part. The hard part was gathering it all and attaching it to the pretty lined bodice and waist ties in one looooong seam. This is the only place where the pattern and tutorial let me down. I had to wing it.
That join was pretty tricky to do and one sentence and one photo didn't do it for me. It took me many tries and I still ended up with a sloppy finish but since it's just a costume, I'm not going to fret over it.