Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Ice, Ice Baby

 

I got to play Rink Nanny this week. One of Daughter's students had a test session at the rink we both used to skate at years ago so I met her there so I could wrangle the little one while she did her job. 



It wasn't hard to do because he loves Zambonis so we just went from sheet of ice to sheet of ice watching them do their thing. It's a big rink with many sheets of ice.



When they were finished their work we played Zamboni on a table in the warming room. I alcohol wiped it to death first because I'm pretty sure it hadn't been cleaned since I was there last and that was about 20 years ago. 




I even found a knitter in the lobby to chat with. Her daughter was also testing and like I did in my day, didn't watch but kept herself busy with the needles during what is always a tense time. She was working on a breast prosthesis which earned a great deal of admiration and respect from moi. 




Everything looked pretty much the same as the last time I was there. Even the same person was behind the check in desk. Only this plaque was new. This rink volunteered itself as an overflow morgue during the height of the pandemic. The owners planted a memorial garden in the courtyard in honor of those who worked tirelessly during this terrible time in their history. It was a grim reminder that had me digging my mask out of my pocket when.....




....we left the rink and headed over to the Ikea that's down the street. I hadn't been there in ages either and..... 



....was not happy with the changes I found. Yes, I love the new self checkouts that get you out faster but when did Ikea turn all.....beige? Room after room of nothing but boring colors and minimalist decor. I was not impressed but I did save a lot of money because of it. 




Having said that I did manage to fill the baby's stroller with a few things to bring home. Mostly marked down Christmas stuff and ginger cookies. 




And....look who shared the ride home with me. Stevie.  Daughter handed her over in the parking lot. She's still in her box because in it she's worth almost $300. I AM going to take her out. Maybe tomorrow. The guy who got it for me insists she's to be played with. She will be. As soon as I get used to her being here. Squee...









6 comments:

  1. I first read your job as Risk Nanny and wondered what risks you were going to be taking. Rink Nanny looks like a much better position, even the reminder of the awful need for an overflow morgue. Have fun playing with Stevie Nicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, it's been a bit of time since I sent to Ikea...I wonder if mine is all beige now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post - Zambonis are indeed fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty realistic looking Stevie! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That had to be fun for both you and the grand! I still haven't ever made it to an Ikea store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Stevie Nicks! And wow! IKEA did look beige and boring. Thanks for saving me the trip up 95. Glad you had fun at the ice rink.

    ReplyDelete