Monday, January 1, 2024

The Knitting Year In Review

 

This is NOT going to be your typical yearly knitting review where I get to show off all the things I finished this year. Oh, no. This is going to be a HORROR story. 



I worked on the Big Gray Blob for most of the year. I cast it on in March. It was supposed to be a fingering weight raglan cardi for Son. He wanted a replacement for the one I made him years ago.





I am TERRIBLE at sweater construction so I took my time with this one and mastered skills in areas I was the weakest in. I was very proud of how I picked up all those stitches around the front and neck. It looked great. 




It took me a couple of tries but those double knit front bands looked awesome. I was sailing with ease to my Christmas deadline. I was on cloud nine until......





...I tried it on The Mister on November 28th and it was TOO SHORT. I don't mean hem wise. I could fix that. I mean shoulder to underarm wise. It looked silly and The Mister is a lot shorter than Son. Off to the frog pond for the whole darn thing. I was left with lots of kinky balls and in my panic I actually tried to re-knit it before Christmas with those kinky balls. About five inches and a lot of stitches in I realized that it looked TERRIBLE. You can't get a decent tension with kinky balls. I even tried to block it out with no luck so rip, rip, rip again. I had to skein up and wash all those balls and hang them to dry which took days. 





Remember all the needle drama back in early December? That was the needle I needed to get started again that was missing. I never found it but what I did discover is that knitting on straight needles wasn't so bad. They have nice sharp points which made the increases easier. 





Not Mine. From Land's End.
I started again with that nagging thought that something was still wrong. I had followed the pattern. I had used the measurements son sent me but something was still wrong. That whole V shaping was not working the way I needed it to so...........I used Son's measurements and BOUGHT a similar sweater to use for sizing. 




Laying my sweater on top of that one made me see that I still wasn't in the ballpark when it came to the length of the front shaping. The math with this particular pattern was not adding up. So I started again adding a plain row for every 8 increase rows to add length to the front. Someone on Ravelry apparently had the same issue and fixed hers that way. It pays to read the comments on new patterns. I wish I would have done that sooner. 

And......when I saw Son on Saturday the sweater I bought was way too big but the one I've re-started should be fine. But....now he wants a sweater with a collar to keep his neck warm. Back to the drawing board. 

Happy New Year!












11 comments:

  1. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! What a headache. Props to you on being willing to start over. Again. And again.
    Happy New Year my dear friend. I hope it's better knitting-wise. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Good luck with the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel your pain! Nothing is more frustrating! He needs to visit every few weeks so you can try it on as it progresses!!!! Make a dishcloth and remember you love to knit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like that original pattern has issues and is not to be knit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you've had this year-long horror story! I knit sweaters for my sons until they were about three but haven't done one since. I knit a sweater for myself last year and it miraculously fit, but I was sweating all the way. A fingering weight sweater is a labor of love anyway, but you are attempting something much, much bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a disappointing experience with the sweater project. It reminds me of why I stopped making clothing many years ago. Good luck on the new to be determined sweater project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I would have thrown the towel in completely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! Congrats on sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a horror story at all. A very sad story. Heartbreaking, even. So, so sorry.

    ReplyDelete