Friday, January 19, 2024

Friday Fluff

 

My new spinning adventure has not been going well. It seems the usual suspects have been making it difficult. 




Aside from the temper tantrum Pup's been throwing, I have to say I'm underwhelmed with the yak.



The colors are brilliant. It's soft as a cloud but.......it clumps. The shorter yak down fibers don't spin smoothly with the Polwarth so I can't help but get that thick and thin thing going which makes me crazy.





I wondered if it might be better suited for spindle spinning and I think it is but looking at that pile of fiber left me doubting it would ever get done so back to the wheel it went. 





If I do get the urge to use a drop spindle I should be working on this merino. It's only been in progress for three years now.  I just need to come to terms with that yak and let it be what it wants to be. 




Yeah, I'm talking to you big fella. Clump all you want. I'll just have to figure it out later. 















4 comments:

  1. I've never knit with it and certainly haven't spun it, but I've only heard good things about yak fiber. Just that it is soft, which you already know as you can feel the soft clumps. The colors are beautiful and I hope you can learn to live with the thick and thin. They are behemoth beasts, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with a yarn that's more rustic - it just adds character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eager to see what happens with this! I've never tried yak myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let it clump--it will turn out beautifully when you ply it. I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete