Monday, January 29, 2024

Charming Stars



I finished the 7th block of Charming Stars yesterday. I need to make 2 more and am worried about sewing myself into a corner with the colors and patterns. These are big blocks and I've got nowhere to lay them out. My floors are a muddy mess thanks to days of rain. I've given up vacuuming and mopping. It's useless.



I also finished machine quilting the Dresden blocks and now have to tackle all the brown sashing. I was going to do something fancy with stencils again but decided against it since it didn't go so well with my last attempt. I think I'll keep it simple but I am going to change the thread color. 




What I also did on a rainy Sunday was get out all the old photos of my dad's side of the family and put them in one place. I need to do that with my mom's side too. It makes it so much easier when you are going back and forth with websites trying to figure out who is related to who and how. What we have found out is that people back in the day did an awful lot of lying. Matching up family stories and documents doesn't usually add up. I just learned that my dad was actually 3 years older than we thought he was. AND don't get me started on WHO is in that little coffin. The back says Barbara Jean. Family lore says it's my father's sister who was run over by a car but we can't find a thing about it. Anywhere. And the only deceased infant we can find was just a few months old and didn't even belong to my grandmother but to her sister. Something's not adding up. 







5 comments:

  1. Your blocks and quilt are lovely, but maybe not some of the family history. I think every family (or at least the few that I'm a part of) has something they've kept in the closet. Things might not add up but at least you haven't discovered that someone was a fugitive on the run or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts are pretty (lots of brown there). It sure was a rainy weekend. My Dad and my sister-in-law have done a lot of genealogy research, but no mysteries like in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've become full-on detective with this ancestry stuff! I love it!

    Your stars are beautiful and so are those dresdens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Families had secrets and some things just weren't discussed which makes it hard for us who want to KNOW! The quilting front looks good, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many mysteries! Can't wait to hear what you find out!

    ReplyDelete