Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Coming Clean Again

I got out the jelly jars but not for what you may be thinking. This time of year I am usually canning fig jam but since there are no figs, I am using them for a whole new purpose.



I'm making soap in them. I'm cutting up cubes of melt and pour soap base....



....and stuffing the cubes in the jars to put in the slow cooker to melt. I read somewhere that this was a good way to do it. Trust me. It's not.



The oatmeal base soap melted perfectly....


...but the goat's milk base only turned to clotted cream. A 10 second ride in the microwave fixed it right up. I should have just done that in the first place.


After melting, some of them got a dose of tea tree oil. I was too cautious. Now that they are done I realized I should have used more. Next time. I have plenty of base left.


 After pouring the concoction into the molds you have to spritz them with alcohol to get a smooth finish on the top.


They have to sit a long while to get hard again.


After making a big mess in the kitchen, for once, clean up was a breeze.


The next morning I had five lovely little bars.


I played with a few of them with my fancy cutter.


To prevent them from taking on moisture from the air, you have to wrap them tightly in plastic wrap for storage. Now I am going to have to look into some way of shrink wrapping and labeling because this is plain ugly. One thing always leads to another, doesn't it?




5 comments:

  1. You did it! Enjoy sliding down this soapy path! Bwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! Your new cutter makes the bars so festive

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the step by step of your process. Your comment about using the slow cooker to melt the base is priceless! I can't wait for you to figure out your new improved wrapping skills, just for the post we'll get out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Soap~
    love how you did that. You won't have to be sparing with it any more. Lather Up~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love handmade soaps and pick some up at almost every craft fair. Your process is interesting and looks like fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete