Thursday, October 26, 2023

All in a Day's Work

 

Just as fall was about to show up, it seems that we're about to have some record high temps. 



That makes getting up the leaves no fun at all. We've got this contraption on the mower and since The Mister is out of commission again I have to drive it around every couple of days picking up leaves until the bags on the back are full. Then I have to get off and dump them in the woods. I have to do this over and over wearing my bug suit for a couple of hours and it's terrible when it's hot.



My least favorite job though is filling it up with gas. That means I have to go in the scary shed and get out the gas can. Who knows what lives in that shed. I've seen some wicked looking critters crawling out from under it. 



When I was finished with the leaves yesterday I had to give The Mister his first sponge bath. The terrible pain has subsided and he is almost human again-almost. They wrapped him up real good to send him home. His entire leg is covered in cotton and that is covered in an ace bandage. Since we can't get any of it wet I had to wrap his whole leg with plastic wrap before I could sit him in the shower and sponge him off. 




One of the worst things I had to do when he had his hip done was get those $%&! compression socks back on. It's hard work. This time the nurse at the surgery center showed me a trick to it. She uses the plastic bag the socks come in and puts it on the foot and then puts on the stocking. It goes right up and then you pull the bag out of the hole. It makes life so much easier and right now I'll take any breaks I can get.










4 comments:

  1. That is a very neat attachment on your mower!

    I have a tiny, five gallon can that I used to top up my push mower. Dave went and got gas for the generator and put it in a 20 gallon can and told me to fill my gas tank from what was left (it was about 3/4 full) - I could barely lift the dang thing, let alone get it lined up to pour gas without spilling!!! I made him transfer some to my little can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how the leaves seem to reappear right after raking, isn't it? Compression socks can sure be a challenge. Glad you got help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted a big mower like that to ride around on! In fact, we had chosen an acreage in Spokane that we wanted to buy before we realized we had to move back here. We were both most excited about a riding mower!
    That sock trick is the best. I'll need to remember that for Mom. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine being a full-time nurse! You are taking good care of your Guy--hope you can get the leaves swept up safely!!!

    ReplyDelete