Sunday, November 19, 2023

All in a Day's Work

 

I had a very long to-do list yesterday and for a change it was all stuff that I wanted to do. First up was to figure out the color change on these Felici socks that I am knitting on the same needle. I want to start the toes but I need to start them at the same stripe change only I can't see it with this subtle gradient. I had to use the lighted magnifier. 



Since it was another 5 am morning, I got a few more rows of ribbing done on the Big Gray Blob while the house was quiet. My goal was to have it done by today and I think I am going to make it. 




My poor travel socks were languishing. I never realized how much I get done while The Mister is driving or while he's walking the dog. Now that I have to do it all these socks haven't grown much. I did sit down yesterday and get them to the toes. 




I also needed to get to work on Number 24. I would like the body to be done by the end of the month. The sleeves always take the longest time for some reason. 




For the first time in ages I felt like I had accomplished quite a bit. I thought I even had a happy ending down in the soap room. When I cut the soap this is what I saw at first. It looks perfect. I was doing a happy dance until.....




....I laid them all out flat to let the bottoms dry. See the dark the rings in the middle of some of them? They must have been in the center of the loaf. They got hot. Too hot and I got a partial gel meaning that soap got darker and harder on the inside. It's only a cosmetic issue but I HATE when that happens and it happens a lot with milk soaps. I should have just added some color to disguise it. A few white swirls through the batter can make a big difference. I used to do that. I need to start doing it again. 








6 comments:

  1. You accomplished quite a bit yesterday, and I bet the milk soap will still lather and clean perfectly well. They remind me of icebergs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful socks--the toes will be done in no time! The soap is fine--the minute it is wet in the shower, it will never show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get the ribbing done on the "blob", does that mean it is done. It will be just in time for the colder weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to do the front bands. I am really, really bad at it so it will most likely take me a long time. I started it this morning and it was slow going.

      Delete
  4. Yay for time to work on your projects! Those mini-sweaters are going to be so wonderful with your Christmas decor. I imagine you are the only person to realize that the soap is not perfect. I just assumed it was supposed to look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a Felici with a subtle change like that - I wish it was more apparent.

    Have you seen the new yarn - I think it's called Felicini? Skinny stripes.

    ReplyDelete