Saturday, September 5, 2020

Making Sandwiches

 

In my already wreck of a used-to-be kitchen I made a bigger mess yesterday if that was possible.



I had to clear everything off my heavily laden table so I could put the backing on the two quilt tops I had just finished. I use a fusible batting so I also had to set up the ironing board and drag out all the quilting tools. Thankfully sandwiching the little Disappearing Nine Patch quilt was easy peasy.



The hexie quilt however; was a nightmare. It was just too big and heavy. It was like wrestling a bear.



The backing I had ordered was too small by just a few inches so I added a charm square strip down the middle. Since math is not my thing it was STILL too small so I cut the charm strip in half and added a plain strip in the center. Then for some reason I decided to sew one of the strips onto the WRONG side of the fabric. Rip, rip, rip. I was not happy and quickly running out of patience. 



Thankfully, they are now both pinned and tucked away for a day when I can work up the courage to tackle the machine quilting. Right now I don't want to even look at either of them. 



5 comments:

  1. I think they are both wonderful Debbie. The disappearing nine patch is so colorful and happy. The hexie quilt is amazing.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you’ve got the sandwiching finished, the rest will be a LOT easier and faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The nine patch looks great. I love the decorative strip down the back of the hexies!

    Mom and I use spring clips to hold our big quilts to the table when sandwiching.
    These aren't they exact ones, but they are close:
    https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Clamp-Large-Super-Heavy/dp/B01I0214J0/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=light+spring+clamps&qid=1599401266&sr=8-9

    Just clamp all four corners, iron away, then unclamp, reposition, and clamp, and iron. Lather, rinse, repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's okay, they will wait for you! At least you got a big part of the work done! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete