Friday, February 2, 2024

Seeing Red

 

When I got out all my Valentine's Day doo dads to change out with my January doo dads I realized that I didn't have a couch quilt to match. To be honest, even though I have a closet full of quilts I have rarely used them until lately. Now I really like having a small one on the couch when I'm watching TV at night. So... I went stash diving.



My inspiration was this one. It's one of Dad's. I remember it being fun and fast so I thought I would put a February spin on mine. 





It's paper pieced so it's not all that fast but it's very enjoyable. The pieces are big so it's not too fiddly. 




The center is just some plain old hexies. They go fast. 




Ta da....I've got one outer ring done but I didn't finish the inner hexie flower because I'm still fiddling with the color placement. Now I have to applique it all down but I'm waiting for some backing material. 





And.......I did see the pelican again. It wasn't fishing. It was sleeping in the middle of the high grass in the wetlands across from the inlet. I would have been happier to see two or more. I'm a little worried that it's by itself since I read that they normally stay in flocks. Poor lonely birdie. I hope it finds a friend.








9 comments:

  1. Nice fabrics. That will be a very pretty red quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your red quilt is off to a lovely start! I think "fast" might be relative when it comes to quilting. I was hoping for another pelican sighting but now I'm hoping he also finds a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those colors and patterns of red are beautiful and they will make such a pretty February quilt. I didn't know that about pelicans. I hope it's mate is around close by and maybe you just haven't been able to spy it yet.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be a fun project! And that reminds me - I need to switch out Burton's chaise quilt for February!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm worried about the pelican too. They're always in a group of at least six out here. Maybe it is ill? Sending good energy out to the pelican. Maybe it is pregnant? Maybe it is having babies right now? Love the red quilt by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Dad’s quilt is lovely…the red is also…I hope you share it with everyone when finished❣️
    Aw, gee. Now I’m worried about the pelican!
    Hope all is well…Happy Groundhog Day. xo,
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy! Is that ever going to be a beautiful quilt. Red is one of my favorite colors, but I bet you could have guessed that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you sure that is a pelican? The coloring and shape look much more like a great blue heron. They would be more likely to be in that habitat.

    Your red quilt is going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We live on the edge of a swamp and I frequently see herons, but now that I think about it, only one at a time. We have a pair of eagles that soar round and round over our house too when the wheather is pretty. Your Valentine's quilt will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete