Friday, February 23, 2024

Angry Water

 

When we walked out the door to take Pup for her walk the weather seem rather mild. We had a big surprise once we got down to the water. The waves were pounding, the wind was howling and it was COLD. Considering we are only about five blocks from the water it was a drastic change. That bay was riled up.




We left the civilized part of the beach and headed down to the wilds to see what all the coastal flooding had done to the beach there. There was hardly any beach. The cliffs were surrounded and being beaten up pretty good.





Water was also pouring out of the wetland areas in steady streams. I've never seen the water this lively and deep before. All that rain and snow up north has been coming our way and has to go somewhere I suppose. 




Back at home I also had a storm brewing. I had finished quilting the inside of the Dresden and the brown sashing so I was very happy to start the last phase of the thing and get that ditch stitching done on all those little houses in that last section of the border. I was going along nicely until I turned the corner. 



Can you see what I did? The section I just finished on the left had the lighter houses on the INSIDE of the border. The other three sides have the lighter houses on the OUTSIDE. It's one of those things that only I would notice but it makes quilting it harder because I was going to change thread color on the darker houses. Do I re-thread the machine, which I hate doing, or take the chance that working from the outside in won't pucker?




Down in the soap room it was Star Showers turn in the pot. It's a new-to-me fragrance. It's pleasant but a bit generic. I was hoping it was a dupe of a fragrance I loved years ago called Beneath the Stars but it's not. 





The bars came out looking more like cloudy skies than stars but I'll take what I can get. These identical pours just keep getting crazier and crazier. I can't wait to get up in the morning and cut into a loaf to see what it did. I'm sad to say I've only got two more batches to make after this one. Soap week(s) is finally coming to an end. 






7 comments:

  1. Yikes! That is some fierce looking water!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any quilting advice, other than to say I'm glad that taking the houses apart and putting the outlier lighter houses on the outside. This really is a design feature because it can tell you which way to orient the quilt when you use it. I'm looking forward to seeing what your last batches of soap look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being around water is never boring! I would change the thread- a bother but safer to quilt that way! Beautiful soap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to live near water again. I surely do miss the St. Johns. But, you are so right ..... water can be wild! Hopefully, the fresh snow melt with refresh the bay a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature really is awesome!

    I kinda like how you switched out the sequence on the houses - it looks intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ocean is so powerful and quick to change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the same way the ocean looked on this side of the map last week when we were at the beach. It always amazes me to see heavy logs tossed around! I wouldn't have noticed your issue on that beautiful quilt if you hadn't pointed it out. Nice work on the soap, too.

    ReplyDelete