Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Half Sours

 It finally happened. I got tired of eating cucumber sandwiches. The problem is that I still had a bag full of the green things in the fridge.


Last year, I brought back the most delicious pickles from Rhinebeck so I thought I would try and recreate the recipe with a few of the smaller ones. It was pretty simple-just water, salt, peppercorns and garlic.


The whole briney mess sits on your counter for a few days to ferment and the trick is to keep the cucumbers submerged.


I pushed a plate down on top of them before I put the lid on.



 I even stuck a few in a glass with a custard cup on top.
I have no idea if this is going to work at all but at least for the moment they smell really good. It's all I can do not to go eat them right now.

5 comments:

  1. My mouth is puckering just seeing these....I love a good Deli pickle!! Will have to try this recipe. We have quite a few cucumbers from the garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The final results were a bit on the salty side. Sliced thin on a sandwich they weren't bad-by themselves-they were too strong. Next time more garlic, less salt.

      Delete
  2. mmmmmmmmm I love homemade pickles...Maybe I should head over to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love pickles in a sandwich ... currently enjoying a jar of Amish bread n butter pickles with that have lots of onions and red pepper flakes in them. so good and never tried them til now.

    ReplyDelete