Wednesday, July 17, 2019

With the Greatest of Ease

 I was really looking forward to getting some knitting done on the Tour's rest day but The Mister had other ideas.



 Ever since I brought this giant ceiling light home from my last Ikea outing we've been fighting over the best way to hang it. I wanted to rent a scaffolding from Home Depot, he wanted to play Cirque du Soleil aerialist and hang off a ladder.




 I no sooner had sat down to knit when he decided to see if he could prove me wrong. He was just going to see if the ladder would reach. Yeah, sure.



 The next thing I know he's ripping down the old, dusty ceiling fan.



 The two things I hate about home improvement are heights and electricity. I'm pretty much game for anything but they both make me nervous. So nervous I devoured half a bag of the chips The Mister had just brought in from the store while I was trying to figure out online what to do with the red wire. Hint: it's for the wall switch.



To make a long story short, he did prove me wrong. It could be done. It wasn't fun. I had to balance the light on the end of a broom with one hand and hold the ladder with the other but it's up. I think it needs to go up a few notches on the chain but I'll tell him that another day. I need to recuperate. My nerves are shot.

11 comments:

  1. Very cool light and I'm glad no bodies were harmed in the installation.

    I have always said I'll do plumbing over electrical ANY DAY. You screw up plumbing you get wet. Screw up electrical and you get DEAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your new light but I'm right with you with heights and electricity. Hubby has no problem with either although he won't get on the roof of this house as it's REALLY high. I have to pretend he's not on ladders.
    Tonight he was outside with a hatchet. Scared the crud out of me!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That light really is very cool! My OH is always very self-confident about home improvement ability (and to give him credit, he is very knowledgeable) and I'm usually not around because I just get in his way. I did, however, help him drywall a ceiling once and we won't go into any discussion about that right now (!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new light (and the chips - lol). Glad everyone survived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new light! My husband is a builder so he has his own scaffolding and knows his electrical stuff but still... I'm terrified every time he climbs or messes with the wiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new light and am so impressed with all that you and your husband can accomplish. My nerves would have been totally shot by the time that project was completed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! I'm sympathetic to the 'way' it was done but now it is finished! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your aversion to heights and electricity and would never tackle the installation myself. The light looks great and so do the chips. 😉😎

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah! Your Mr. sounds exactly like my Dave! And I'm with you on heights and electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear! Electric...yikes. Don't like electric but luckily have a nephew who is a liscened electrician. Ladders etc.......I would be a wreck. !!! Sometimes the y chromosome isn't the best judge of project safety!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! I have those high cathedral ceilings too and I end up performing those same Cirque du Soleil moves when I have to make the time changes on my big clock hanging way up there in the peek. It's down right nerve wracking!

    ReplyDelete