Monday, July 22, 2019

To Dye For

 I was stuck in the house all weekend because of the heat wave and bored out of my mind. Looking out of the window at the blistering heat on the deck gave me an idea.



 My California Red fleece is spinning like a dream but I had left it white and I still have seven of those white batts left. Boring.



When it used to get hot like this I would take my dye jars over to Daddio's and we'd mix up some fun with whatever old fleece I had laying around. The asphalt in his driveway, the part right next to his garage doors, was as hot as any oven. It was perfect for solar dyeing.



 I don't have that set up here but I do have a hot deck with 99 degree temps so on Saturday I thought I'd give it a try.



 The lids have all rusted so I kept my fingers crossed that my raccoon buddies wouldn't be interested enough to pull the tops off to investigate. That could have been a spectacular mess in the morning.




 Instead of a mess I had six jars of exhausted dye and two that needed a little more time. Red and orange are always the slowpokes.



 I didn't know how the California Red was going to take the dye but from what I can see so far it's taking it pretty darn well.



 Since Sunday was another scorcher I gave it another go with more colors.



Today is the last Tour rest day so if I can get any of this dry enough I predict some carding in my future.

11 comments:

  1. That is so interesting! Hope your temps moderate today. We had a strong storm come through last night/early this a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you had such beautiful success with this dyeing day--the colors will be fun to card and to spin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun! You certainly have a riot of color to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors! Good for you for using the hot hot hot day to good use! I've been enjoying the Tour, knitting and cross stitching and staying inside, thankful for the AC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fun! you're making me want to head down to the basement and do a little dyeing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your daddy memories Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a 'how to cook lasagna in your mailbox' meme but this is a much better use of the recent heatwave. We are supposed to get bad storms tonight and tomorrow will be 20+ degrees cooler! Can't wait to see how your new colors spin up and I hope things cool off for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous experiment! Glad the heat has been good for something. So many of the plants in the community garden have not survived our heat in spite of frequent watering. About half of the herbs have dead foliage and the stalks have bent over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful! I love the colors and would never have thought of putting the jars outside. I also love the memory you have of doing this with your Dad. I think that's the best of all.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete