Sunday, March 17, 2019

Something Green

Not quite what you were expecting today is it?



 This either, I bet. That's Jewelweed.



  I bought this Jewelweed infused oil to make soap with.



While I am waiting for that soap to cure I bought this from a soap maker in Kentucky. Jewelweed soap really fixed my itch the last time I was covered with poison ivy. They also say this soap is a preventative. I've gone through two bars already without a sign of a rash even after handling the cut vines that are all over the trees we are cutting up.


I used a very different recipe with this soap as I want this one to wash off oils not keep oils on the skin. It's mostly just light oils so it will take a long time to cure. I also used French Green Clay instead of any milk products as an additive. I sprinkled some dried nettle over the top since I didn't have any dried Jewelweed. If this turns out I'll get some since it looks like this is going to have to be a staple in my tub for the summer. I really don't want to do that poison ivy thing again. It was awful.



Speaking of soap, I've also got all that spring soap ready for testing and wrapping this week. So much soap. So little time. 


I also want to say thank you to Lucy. She sent me these Kentucky Derby pins. The Mister was really tickled by them. Derby Day happens to also be #2 Son's wedding day AND the first day of the MDSW. That's going to be some weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Very interesting!!! I used to love to play with Jewelweed with my kids--squeezing those seed pods to make them pop open! I'm so glad you found a soap/recipe that works for you!!! And it looks beautiful, too! Oh, boy--that wedding day will be memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might need to order that soap. I tend to get poison oak and it is horrible. Believe me I feel you pain and itch when you have poison ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever stumble into poison ivy again, I'll definitely be on the lookout for some jewelweed soap! It was one of the worst experiences of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting about jewelweed infused oil to use in homemade soap. I had never heard of jewelweed though I have used the various commercial products (like Tecnu and others) to supposedly wash the poison oak/ivy oils from the skin. That is wonderful that you have avoided any outbreaks with all your wood wrangling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ponies. We may be going to the track IN oklahoma on our next visit with AL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we have Jewelweed soap on hand all the time! My husband uses it regularly. I use it after being outside mowing or trimming. It works great! PI is nasty nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of jewelweed. I'll have to see if our natural food store has some soaps made with that. Steve got a pretty good rash last year clearing out the back part of our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of jewelweed soap until I read about it on your blog. I sure hope it continues to help you. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aack! I'll have to order some of that soap. I'm SO allergic to poison ivy, I'll probably break out just from a brief glance at your photo. Although honestly, I think it may be poison oak, not ivy that bothers me so much.

    ReplyDelete