Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Christmas Angels


When I got the invitation from the funeral home to attend a holiday memorial on Sunday for all those lost over the past year I was skeptical. They send me something in the mail at least once a month so I figured it would be just a pitch for their business. I was wrong.



 It was a beautiful ceremony. The speaker was funny and touching. Middle Sister and I bawled like big babies through the whole thing. We sang Hark the Herald Angel Sings and then they presented each family with a glass angel inscribed with their loved ones dates as a video tribute played in the background. Of course, there was more bawling.



Afterwards there was a lovely reception with the longest table I've ever seen piled with delicious snacks and goodies surrounded by beautiful centerpieces. No where was there a sales pitch. Everyone was kind and professional. All the guests were required to do was to comfort each other as all of us in that room will be going through their first holiday season missing someone dear to them. It was heartbreaking and beautiful.
I'm so glad I went.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing for them to do. I have never heard of a service like that before and I think it would be very helpful for so many people. Thank you for sharing it with us. The ornament is absolutely gorgeous. I’m thinking of you this holiday season Debra. I’m keeping you in my prayers. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful thing for the funeral directors to do. Your angel is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you went, too! What a caring way for them to give back to the people who have come to them in their grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful. I'm glad you went and found a little comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grief makes the holidays difficult to handle. This funeral home "gets it." I'm happy that you and your sister attended. The angel ornament is a beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing thoughtful and what a wonderful way of helping others!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The memorial service sounds like a great way to recognize loved ones and share memories. For me, crying is therapeutic even though it's not pretty. Sure the ornament will have a special place on your tree. Hope the service will give you some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!! Im so happy that you both went and that is was truly FOR the families!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice service and so glad you decided to attend. I hope you find a very special place to hang that beautiful angel. Hugs!


    ReplyDelete