Saturday, June 22, 2024

Upstairs, Downstairs

 

If you think slopping that joint compound on the ceiling is bad, you should see what comes next. 



After it's dry we have to take sponges, mops and buckets of water and wipe it all down over and over. I want subtle texture, think old Tuscan villa-not Luray Caverns. I actually had the idea 30 years ago to do this to those awful popcorn ceilings while I was sitting in a Olive Garden. They had vintage plaster looking walls and I liked them. 




That was the downstairs mess, upstairs we had another mess to deal with. Our new refrigerator has been making an awful noise. We called Samsung and they told us to......unplug it for 24 hours. It seems that every 18 months the fan will freeze up and you have to manual defrost it? We couldn't believe it but after doing some Googling it is indeed a common problem with this brand. That's just crazy. We pulled it out and gave it a good cleaning. We unplugged it for 2 hours and it did make the noise a bit less noisy but 24 hours? With all my food inside? No way. It's still under warranty so Monday we'll see what they have to say. 




Between the heat, the work and the mess I was out of sorts for the rest of the day. I hid in my sewing room and pulled out a few things I've been neglecting like the table runner I've been hand quilting and....




....poor Spiral Chicken. I cut up her new strips and sat still long enough to get a few on them on but that was it for me for the day. Tired is an understatement. I'm not getting off this couch until Monday.






 




8 comments:

  1. Just when I think it can't get much worse, it does. We do have vintage plaster walls and I can't say I'm a fan, especially when areas need to be repaired. But at least I'm not being told to unplug my refrigerator for 24 hours! That is pure craziness. Stay cool and sane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire how hard you and The Mister are working on your house. I could never do it. As for the refrigerator, I would be furious. If the fan defrosts, so will your food. You may as well have gotten a fifty year old refrigerator.
    I hope you get lots of rest over the weekend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ceiling project is quite interesting. I'm guessing you are covering up popcorn finish. The response you have gotten thus far on the refrigerator seems totally unacceptable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just not right (about the refrigerator).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good rest is just what you need! The new appliances messing up is really discouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that's their solution for your fridge. That's just insane! As for the drywall, we actually have the old plaster walls here in this house.... except for the laundry room. The laundry room not only has a VERY low, sloping ceiling, but it also has Extremely textured, Luray Caverns style drywall mud on it. I literally scrape my nuckles every time I open/close the washing machine lid.(The ceiling slopes so much, the washer has to sit about 8 inches out from the wall so that the lid will open all the way!) I'm glad you were able to get a little crafting done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They certainly don't make appliances like the used to!

    ReplyDelete