Sunday, June 16, 2024

Nostalgia

 

Our Saturday farmer's market is held at our senior center and while The Mister shops Pup and I hide out on this shady sidewalk. Yesterday that sidewalk gave me a wave of emotion I hadn't felt in a long time. It's where they had set up the long row of chairs where we waited to get the very first of our Covid vaccines. I don't think I've ever been so terrified as I was that day. I was pretty sure I was going to be carried out on a stretcher.



I think the pandemic has been on my mind lately because of this. It's my latest listen. Someone asked me a while back if I liked it and I didn't answer because I didn't know. I dove in without knowing what it was about. All I knew was that Meryl Streep was the reader and that was enough for me. For the record, she is excellent. What I didn't know was that it takes place during the pandemic lockdown and the main character is enjoying having her college aged daughters all to herself for the duration. Her experience on her Michigan cherry farm was rather idyllic compared to what the rest of the world was going through and she acknowledges that. The loss of life can never be forgotten but the noise of the world being that quiet for so long was extraordinary. Sometimes I miss that.




 Thankfully all those feelings didn't last. The noisy world was right there in front of me again and I had things to buy.








5 comments:

  1. Remembering covid before we had vaccinations is almost surreal. I remember lining up outside the grocery store at 6:00 am with my hand-sewn mask and gloves, waiting to be let in five or 10 at a time to be met with lots of bare shelves and meat rationing. I remember a giant tent set up at the hospital to handle their ER admissions, and I remember spending hours looking online for vaccine appts. for myself and my family. It is a good thing those things fade quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book. I remember being so, so anxious for my shot--it was a drive-through thing where you had to sit in your car for 15 minutes after and I was so worried I would pass out. Seems like so long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in our camper in Spokane during the first part of Covid and were spared much of the pandemonium. We ended up with four vaccines each so we could fly to London to see our new Granddaughter. My brother died from Covid in April 2020, one of the first deaths in Omaha. He caught it in the hospital when he went to have his pacemaker battery replaced. So senseless.
    I hope we never face anything like that again.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an event I don't want to repeat. As much as I enjoyed the quieter pace, it wasn't all peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss a few things about the pandemic - the quieter roads, the quieter stores (when we did go out). I already worked at home before the pandemic, so other than masking and line-up, not a lot changed for me. Definitely one of the lucky ones!

    ReplyDelete