Sunday, June 9, 2024

Off to the Races

 

SIL's flight home from Chicago was on time so he was home by 11:00 which meant if we hustled home we could get to the last hour of the dragon boats races. Thankfully the DC Beltway was moving in our favor and we got there just in time for the race finals. Here are the boats with their fancy heads on. They only show up on race day. I suppose they would be too tempting to be left on all night alone on the beach.



It was a bit overwhelming to wade into the Technicolor sea of revelry after a weekend of quiet baby play. There's lots of loud music and announcements being made. First stop, beer truck. 





Each team is a different color and they dress up to represent whatever name they came up with. The boardwalk was a living, breathing (and sweating) rainbow. This was the Corksman, a viking themed team who had a amazing booth. I wish I could have musseled in to get a photo but I was too worn out by then to fight the crowds.




Pup never sleeps when we are not at home so I do doggy duty all night so The Mister would be able to drive. I plopped myself on a rock in the shade and watched from the koi pond while The Mister ran up and down the boardwalk getting the full experience. 






The local CrossFit studio won again this year. I think they always win. It was an upside down year for us as we usually go early and leave before it gets too hot but this worked out perfectly. There was plenty of shade since the sun was behind the water and the finals were fun to see. I think we'll do it this way again next year. 








5 comments:

  1. Now that looks like a really fun way to spend the afternoon! I'm glad you were able to take in the finals and those dragon heads are so cool.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun afternoon! I guess it's not a surprise that the CrossFit people would win, but hopefully, everyone had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really had a full few days! The races look like a good way to end the day-shade, Pup and contentedness!

    ReplyDelete