Sunday, April 25, 2021

In Defense of Steeking

 

I didn't mean to scare anyone away from steeking yesterday. It was definitely user error. I've steeked plenty and only had fails when using the crochet technique which I admit I am terrible at. 



That's where you crochet a chain down each side that you want to cut. When I made my Palette Cardi it was way too big so I steeked it all over and cut away lots of fabric so it would fit. For the most part it worked but I did have some areas that pulled apart later. I admit I am not very good with a hook and I think I just don't have the eye to catch the right threads before I cut.



As long as I use the machine for reinforcement or even hand sewing using the back stitch it all stays in place nicely. 




I wouldn't hesitate to steek again in the future. I just will NEVER trust those crocheted edges again. At least not MY crocheted edges. 



I am very happy to report that those blankety blank sleeves went on without a hitch. Now I have to tackle all that crocheted decorative edging around each sleeve and the front placket. It's slow going and not much fun. I should have it done by next winter. Maybe. 










6 comments:

  1. lol I admit it. I'm terrified of steeking. Of course I know that it's my issue, plenty of people who are much more talented and brave than I am use the steeking method with great success. Especially you, one of my most talented friends.
    I'm glad it was a save. I wish I could do the crochet for you.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sneaky steek! I always prefer crochet for embellishment and trim. But I never thought of it for steering. Probably because I don't seek......yet.
    Deb, thanks for the IM not the only one , comment yesterday. I need the support ! I thought post vaccine time would be easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good when we figure out what WORKS for us and what doesn't. I'm glad you were able to save that beautiful sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! :) Glad it ended up okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the hints and tricks--you do beautiful work and we know it! I have to machine stitch my steeks--it's the best stabilizing defense!

    ReplyDelete