Thursday, February 4, 2021

Having My Back


Apparently it's not just cats who have to put there bottoms on everything. Pup was right on my quilt top as soon as it hit the ground. I just finished putting together a backing for it. As usual I didn't buy enough so it's going to have a patch on one side which is fine with me. It seems like it's my signature move these days with quilt backings.



I was trying to lay it all out because I have a pile of batting pieces and since it wasn't a very big quilt I thought I would try to piece these together instead of opening another giant roll.



I've done this with small projects but never with anything this big- 60" x 60". Quilters...any thoughts? I haven't done it yet and probably won't for a few days. I'm gonna need a lot of time, a clean floor and some good weather so I can toss the critters outside for a while.





 

10 comments:

  1. Nice! I have no advice because I'm not a quilter but I would be right beside Pup because I think your quilt is beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I have pieced batting. Put the pieces side by side touching each other but not overlapping. Sew with wide zigzag on your sewing machine. You won’t need the tape.
    Cheryl (seajaes on ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is beautiful.
    I like that you are making it your signature move. VERY GOOD IDEA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a YouTube video about piecing batting together but I see that Cheryl above has explained it. (zigzag stitch)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a quilter but certainly a quilt-appreciator! The signature patch is totally cool to me - makes the quilt very personal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive only pieced batting on small projects, not big ones. Sometimes instead of using the tape, Mom zigags the pieces together on her machine. Either method works

    For figuring out backing, I have the Robert Kauffman Quilting Calculator App on my phone. Do you have it? If not, give it at try, it's amazing! It calculates binding, borders and more. I use it most for binding and backings though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Piecing batting is very simple. Just put the pieces side by side (not overlapping) and do a wide zig-zag stitch. I have never had a problem with pieced batting and the quilting just reinforces the stability. Looking forward to seeing that beauty completed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often end up patching together quilt backs. I need to use stash, anyway.
    I love that tape, but I have only used it for small art quilts. I'm sure you can make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like some knowledgeable people gave you some advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have used the interfacing tape-as long as you do enough quilting it will hold just fine! (you aren't going to do hand quilting, right?!) I love a pieced back--no one will know you ran out of fabric-it's an artistic touch!

    ReplyDelete