Sunday, February 14, 2021

Fiber Hearts and Yarn Flowers

 

I know it's Valentine's Day but I've got nothing to show for it. How about some pretty yarn and roving to make some thrummed mittens? This is a kit I found on Etsy and it came all the way from Canada. I would have torn into it immediately but I am waiting for some new needles.




While I am waiting for those needles I decided to try my hand at some other kind of mittens. These are Mosi mittens. Daughter brought me back the yarn from Iceland to make them but I'm not using it. I am using some leftover Palette for my first pair to see it works out because I am learning new stuff along the way.



First I am learning to use one of those little 9" needles so I can knit them in the round. I bought it ages ago, tried it, hated it but I recently saw someone knitting some beautiful colorwork socks on one over on You Tube and she was raving about it so I dug it out and gave it another try. I think I like it. 




I am also learning how to do an afterthought thumb. I hate the fiddlyness of the thumb gusset when you are doing colorwork so this might be the solution. We'll see. I've still got a long way to go before I figure out if all this works out. 



I had plenty of time to play with my knitting yesterday since this is what it looks like outside. We're in the middle of a nasty ice storm but at least this time.....so far anyway, we haven't lost power. Last time it took a week to get the lights back on. 









6 comments:

  1. I love the gold and black of the new mittens.

    I tried those 9" needles. I wasn't a fan. They were very fiddly. But, I see you are using a bigger needle size. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad.

    We didn't get much of the storm as far as I can tell. There isn't any ice hanging anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the thrummed mittens in progress! That yarn is gorgeous!! Also will be wanting to see the afterthought thumb progress! Those mittens are lovely as well and good for you for trying out the smaller needles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fiber and the new mittens look great!!! I'm glad you have power! The ice is such a danger-stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you stay warm and there is no power outages. Love that new yarn for your mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Mosi mittens are so intricate. I haven't been able to use the 9" needles. Maybe I need to give them another try.

    We have snow falling and our water has been frozen since Thursday night. We've been going to Dennis's office to shower! All part of winter RVing I guess. I'm done with it and want warmer weather.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete