Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The I's Have It


I don't like storms whose names start with I. Irene and Isabelle really did a lot of damage a few years back. One of them pushed our boardwalk and the beach front houses two blocks back. We still have two massive black walnuts out back that came down that night. I don't like it at all when you see our little town's name on weather maps that look like this. They never talk about us at all unless it's something awful. 



All Sunday night long my phone and bedroom dot were blowing up with warnings about Iasais and the thunderstorms we were already having. I didn't get much sleep. 



My poor Alexa wore her self out with dire warnings and notifications all day Monday. As if the pandemic isn't enough to worry about. 2020 can you get any worse? I'm sure it can. I shouldn't have said that. 



While The Mister was cleaning out gutters I gave the house a good vacuuming and put a pot of beans on the stove to simmer anticipating having no electricity. No electricity also means no water from the well so we have to fill up every bucket we can find and put them in the bathtubs to flush the toilets. Good times.




Oh, well. Hopefully by the time you read this it's all over and we will have dodged the bullet. If not, I'll be back when the lights are back on. In the meantime here's Pup in her "rolly".  She likes to sit in it while I vacuum.  I'm really hoping we don't have to spend the night in the under stairs closet again. Sigh.....


8 comments:

  1. Hope you don't have huge problems with the hurricane:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your fear. I felt it when Mandy lived near you. I have also lived many, many nights in the under-the-stairs closet during tornado season in the midwest. Why oh why do I want to move back so badly? Piper and Mandy of course! I'd do a lot worse if it meant being near them.
    I'll be praying for you my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the storm passes you by with no damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are safe and just getting the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping that the storm is not as violent as predicted. I remember filling the bathtub for flushing when I lived on the farm. People who don’t have wells don’t understand that concept. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fingers are crossed for you.
    My daughter flew from Miami to Denver on Saturday, and you can bet we were watching the weather anxiously. I am glad to be done with worrying about hurricanes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We missed the bullet; hope you will , too!
    I had to look twice at the Alexa-I thought those were her wires! lol

    ReplyDelete