Thursday, August 20, 2020

Reeling One In

 

When I bought this Hawthorne Sock Reel I wasn't sure what I was getting into.



It was an interesting knitting experience. I had so much fun with the cute little reels that I bought two more. I wish I hadn't. The knitted fabric looked weird while I was knitting with the kinky yarn but I thought it would straighten out after blocking.




I gave them a good soaking but I could still feel the fabric was odd. It's not anything like Hawthorne. 




I slipped them on the blockers to dry and they looked even worse. The stitches are now all uneven and sloppy. 




See? I am a loose knitter and I guess the extra kink just made a mess of it all. I was so disappointed. I am going to toss them in the wash and then give them a tumble to see it that helps tighten it up a bit. I even checked over on Ravelry to see what others were saying about this yarn and some people seemed to like the weird texture. I don't. 




In addition I only had this much left of the reel when I was done and I had only knit a ladies medium pair. I doubt there would be enough for a man sock especially if you wanted them to match. 
I guess the answer is to unravel the reel and block the yarn before knitting with it-but where's the fun in that? 




9 comments:

  1. Too much work to go through all that when there are so many "prettier" yarns out there.

    The finished socks are cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors but I can see what you mean about the stitch appearance. I certainly agree that there would be a problem with knitting a pair of men's socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dee - too much work. I do think the socks look good, but if the texture is weird....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the colors of the completed socks. I’ve had the same disappointing results with sock blanks. I still have some bare sock blanks for dyeing, so I guess I’ll give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's frustrating. Socks are too much work not to love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for being the guinea pig and giving us a report on this yarn! The socks will probably look a lot better after the wash/dry--you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully they will straighten out with wear and washing. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if the will felt up a bit with wear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so disappointing. I wonder if a smaller needle would help. I'm amazed at the color difference between the reel and the sock. The reel looks much more green to me but the sock doesn't look green at all. Or maybe that's my computer screen because it does look minty green when in the wash water.

    ReplyDelete