Thursday, July 16, 2020

Soap Tales


Hello everybody! It is our 19th 90 plus degree day of the year. Tomorrow we break a record. So what did I do? I donned all my hot soap gear and made soap. I shouldn't complain. We have AC but no matter how cool we keep it that darn humidity is always a problem. 



I got the bug to make soap when I pulled this very old clay soap (the top one) that I had made several years ago. It was spectacular, so smooth and silky and sadly the last bar. That's the Aleppo soap under it. I've been testing it even though it has months and months to go before it's fully cured. 



I thought it would be easy enough to recreate the clay recipe. It wasn't. 



All that clay made the batter get thick fast. Really fast. I had to bang it and bang it on the floor to get it down in the mold. It's a good thing The Mister was out playing golf. He spends the day right below the soap room and would have had a fit from all the noise. 



It's also one of those cases of "I should have left well enough alone". The top was a sloppy mess but adding black sea salt to it didn't help.  I can't wait to cut this one tomorrow. I am sure it's going to be a train wreck.

 


Another frustration was with the blog. Blogger is being really wonky these days. It took me forever to get those photos posted and I can't do a post without photos. If I disappear, don't worry. Everything is fine. I'm probably just waiting until Blogger gets its stuff together. 






12 comments:

  1. I couldn't get a photo to post with my last post either. I spent forever trying to get it to work and finally gave up.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how the soap looks when it's cut.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That doesn't look like a train wreck to me - it looks pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've swapped out to a different browser and am using Microsoft Edge, the photos post easier than using Chrome if that helps.
    I have a friend who makes amazing soaps and I love getting her leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now excited to see the cut soap - I love your soap posts and now have the vision of you banging that soap on the floor in my mind! I hope the high temperatures take a break for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger is finicky, and the recent changes are frustrating. I’m trying to wait it out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the salt looks great. :)
    TAK

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful experiment. Will be interesting to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the soap is perfect. Hope Blogger cooperates by the time I am ready to post. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is up with Blogger? It does take forever to load photos. I know I should switch to wordpress, but that's more work!
    Your soap always turns out great. I bet this will surprise you -- in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the look of the new soap--worth all of that pounding! I have it easier with Blogger-I had it saved on the home bar of my Google Chrome on my laptop and it saved the old version--what a relief but every few days, it links me to the new version so I understand your pain-the photo loader is a misery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet your soap turns out better than you expect.
    I'm sorry you had trouble with Blogger but I am glad to hear others have been having problems. I thought it was just me.

    ReplyDelete