Monday, June 30, 2014

2014 TdF Countdown

 The Tour de Fleece is now only days away so it has been of major importance to get the wheels cleared of any lingering projects. Mission accomplished.


The last project to be completed was this mismatched set of bobbins that I was spinning for an experiment in plying. I started this ages ago and lost interest.


 It started with this really crazy roving that I have in my ancient fiber stash. No, I didn't dye it. It looks like something I would do but it isn't. I actually bought this way back when I was first learning to spin.



 I took the wild and crazy stuff and plied it with the plain green merino to see what would happen.


 I had my doubts but I think I like it. I can't wait to knit with it but it must wait until I get my WIP's under control.



 While I was washing and thwacking that newly spun yarn, I re-skeined the naughty Merino and gave it another bath hoping to tame it a bit. It was just too bouncy to be reliable.


Hoping to avoid any more surprises, I even took the precaution of hanging them under some serious tension until they were partially dry. It's a good thing I don't have any neighbors in the back. I can't imagine what they would think I was doing.

6 comments:

  1. The new yarn is very pretty! Nice to have an experiment in color go so well! The Merino dried with weights will still misbehave the first time it's washed! Knit and wash that swatch first before you trust it in a sweater again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do.....I still don't trust it!

      Delete
  2. Hee hee heh…neighbors…
    I think knitting and washing the swatch is a great safe idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so neat how you weighed down the hanging yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the two yarns plied together. It should be fun to knit.

    ReplyDelete