Sunday, August 27, 2023

Changing Course

 

I finally finished my latest puzzle so the dining room table was up for grabs. 



I thought I would sandwich The Big Ugly quilt but I couldn't find enough of anything to back it with. I wanted it to be scrappy but it got ridiculous. So ridiculous that after dragging it all out and working on it for a few hours I put it all away and ordered some big backing material. I was worried that if the underside had a lot of seams The Mister would complain about it. I asked him in general what he thought and that's what he said. He still doesn't know this quilt is supposed to be for him. 




While I am waiting for that material to show up I've got the Vuelta a Espana to keep me busy. It started yesterday so it gave me a good excuse to start getting those Barbie Dream House singles plied while I watch the riders take a bike tour through Spain for a change. 




And...that botched Pumpkin batch came out really pretty. I was afraid that without the sodium lactate (liquid salt) it wouldn't get hard enough to unmold but it came out just fine. It's going to be interesting comparing this batch to a regular batch to see if all that fancy stuff I put in it really matters after all. I'm thinking it just might not. 



4 comments:

  1. I get it about the quilt backing--I am having a hard time finding enough of the larger pieces to make backings--I need to go to JoAnns and splurge! lol I'm glad the soap came out well--sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like piecing backs. If it's more than one seam, I don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind piecing quilt backings but I want the fabric/s to be special and work with the front of the quilt. Yay for success on the soap and it will be interesting to see what you think when you do the second batch. It sounds like you may end up eliminating a step in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so busy yesterday that I missed checking blogs completely. And we didn't get home until after 10:30 when I fell into bed exhausted.
    I'm with The Mister on seams in the backing. 2-3 were the max I did when I was making quilts. Otherwise they annoyed me. :-)
    Blessings,
    Besy

    ReplyDelete