Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Another Fine Mess

See that chair? That's where I've been sleeping since Christmas. My living area is piled high with boxes and bags filled with pretty much everything I own.



 My Christmas gift to myself was to completely gut my bedroom. I even removed the ugly textured ceiling that was in the closet.



 That was a familiar project. I had done every ceiling in the house when we first moved in but I hadn't done the closets and now scraping it all off was just what the doctor ordered to soothe my aching heart.



 Everything was ripped out. Lighting, closet fixtures.....



 ....even flooring. We had an Ikea laminate floating floor which I loved but it had some bad places so out it went too.



That's red oak. It has to sit now to acclimate for three days until we can nail it down. We have it in the other rooms and the hall so we are just continuing what we started when we moved in almost 30 years ago. 



Everything got a couple of coats of bright white paint. Silent White to be exact. As soon as the floor is down I'm off to Ikea for new closet fixtures, a dresser (for socks!) and linens. Then it's over to Home Depot for new doors and lights. Then....it's the kitchen. Don't tell The Mister but its days are numbered too. Nothing can stop me now.





12 comments:

  1. What a project! The room will looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the renovations, it is good therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Deb, Go!!!! There's nothing like a fresh new space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chair! It looks like a poang chair from IKEA. Mandy has one of those and I commandeer it every time I visit. :-). I wish we had an IKEA closer than 300 miles away! Your renovations will be wonderful and I’m looking forward to seeing it when it’s completed. It’s good therapy. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Wow! You go girl!!! You are braver than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like sinking your teeth into a big project to silence the sadness! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing how satisfying demolition can be - especially when your heart it aching. And even better is the refresh that comes after it! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn, you are NOT messing around! I love that your home is your project. I'm not a homeowner and seeing the different areas of consideration. (Wood that must acclimate?) is fascinating. Hope you're well, always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea you! Those textured ceilings are the pits! The new matching flooring will be super nice - I'm glad that someone else has a new 30-year home improvement projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just WOW!!! What a great way to channel your emotions into something positive. I admire your talents and love what you are doing with your bedroom. It is going to be awesome. Looking forward to seeing the progression and completion. Kitchen next - you never cease to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oak is such a warm and welcoming wood. It's going to be fabulous in your bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are one busy cookie, Deb! Are you going to make a new quilt for your bed? Not only are you busy but you are definitely an inspiration!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete