Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pondering

Confession: This Into the Whirled braid was one of last year's MDSW acquisitions that got stashed because I am afraid of it.


After spinning a pricey Loop batt during last year's TdF, I was disappointed in the trade off between keeping the colors intact and having yarn too thick for the project in mind.


I have spent countless hours on Ravelry lurking in any spinning group that talks about spinning gradients. Now this is not technically a gradient but it is the same principal. I don't want that orange to turn all the other colors into a muddy mess so I need the colors to stay together as much as possible during plying. What to do?

This post is just about whining. I don't have any answers. I did read where someone does a two ply by just tearing up sections of the second bobbin so that you can put colors where you want them to go. That seems a little brutal.


At this point I am not sure where I am going with this but I intend to try and spin the entire braid as a whole. I am not dividing it or pre-drafting it beforehand. I am going to have some crazy long color repeats.


I'll just have to figure out that plying thing later on.

4 comments:

  1. Oh - that one is pretty! Afraid I'm not much one for spinning advice - but I can't wait to see what you do with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful braid! The stripes will look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be. Not. Afraid!!

    the yarn spirits are with you

    ReplyDelete