Thursday, September 27, 2012

Virgin Territory

I have to confess that I have never knit with Socks that Rock before. I have stood in line to buy it-several times but until today I had never actually used it.

The praises of this particular sock yarn has been sung by just about every knitter on the planet so I was expecting an unparalleled knitting experience bordering on pure bliss. I am not going to say I don't like it but it is unusual in it's texture and energy level. If you don't spin you might not know that twist puts movement into yarn and this yarn has moves all right. It moves all over the place. It twists and kinks and wraps around itself like homespun gone bad. It has a ropey, cabled texture that feels like anything but sock yarn to me. Having said all that, I am going to try not pass judgement too soon. I know the real test is in the wearing so I will hold my opinion until I get these on my feet.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit to being a BMFA fan, myself. But it's a matter (I think) of what you get introduced to, first. I loved the colors and the crazy twist, and a year in their sock club was a very special gift to me, so all of that weighs in on the side of "I like it". And since then I've knit with a lot of other sock yarns that just seem wimpy and too soft.

    I think it just boils down to what you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my favorite socks are my handspun ones, for the very reasons that make this yarn unique, I am thinking that I am going to end up a fan also.

      Delete