Sunday, September 30, 2012

Shenandoah Valley Fiber Fest:The Festival

I did make it to the Shenandoah Valley Fiber Fest yesterday. In spite of all the gloom and doom from the weather people this past week, it turned out to be a spectacular day.

See what I mean? Cool enough for socks and light knits but warm enough to stretch out in the sun. It was gorgeous.


 Early that morning, we made our way down Rt 7, over the Shenandoah  River and.....


...through the misty mountains on our way to Berryville, Virginia.

It is hard to describe this particular festival and it was hard to get pictures that captured it. The vendors were spread out nicely, which benefits the shopper in me but that makes everything look rather sparse, which I assure you was not the case. I could have spent a fortune there so it was a good thing I didn't bring one with me. I will next year though.

I was also reluctant to snap away at the vendors because I was forewarned on Ravelry that they can be snippy about that sort of thing. Here I am trying to kinnear a shot with my fingers in the way. Duh. It does prove, however, that there were lovely displays and plenty of stuff to fondle.

Here is another kinneared shot that actually worked. I loved this display by Wolle's Creations. Their color changing cotton yarn is amazing and I am kicking myself for not buying any. They do have an Etsy shop so I may just have to save my pennies and get some when the shop is updated.

The fleece sale was nothing like the one at MDSW. I didn't have to elbow anyone and when I put a fleece down it was still there when I went back for it. It was an amazingly simple process very unlike the complicated mess we put ourselves through quite eagerly in Maryland.

Another difference from Maryland is the bathrooms. This is the line. There was none. Ever.

There is also plenty of seating. Everywhere you looked there was somewhere to park your tired carcass.

There was a decent turnout at the Ravelry meet up. I didn't meet up, I just lurked-just the way I do in all the forums.

I did enjoy the natural dye demonstrations.


 The ladies were very friendly and informative.


 I learned a lot and was inspired to give it a go someday in spite of the obvious hazards.

Tomorrow: The Stuff



1 comment: