Saturday, August 26, 2023

Three Strikes

 

My second attempt at making soap in my new space seemed to work out better than the first time but I'm still working out the bugs. 




This one was my favorite Oatmeal, Milk and Honey loaf.



When I took it out of the mold it looked very promising. 




But when I cut into it I was shocked, shocked I tell you at that brown that all the swirls are swimming in. That's the natural color of the batter with no mica or whitener and I've never seen that particular vivid shade of beige before. Like yesterday's Plain Old Goat soap it had a yellowish/gold tint that's weird. Just weird. Sigh.




Oh, well....it's just soap and I've got plenty of supplies so I launched into another batch right away. It's Pumpkin and it smelled heavenly. I thought everything was going well until I went to put the finished loaf into the incubator. 



That's when I noticed I had never added the little container of additives that I mix together to give the soap a bit of oomph. It was still sitting there. It's the salt that hardens it, the milk that makes it creamy, the honey that makes it bubbly and the clay that gives it slip. Darn. Just darn. It's not a completely ruined loaf but it's not what this great fragrance deserves. I know it always takes a few loaves to get my mojo back but this is getting ridiculous. 







4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that things aren't going well. You know how things come in three's, so the next loaf is bound to be perfection. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be so disappointing! Maybe after the third batch, you have worked out all the kinks and the next batch will be exactly what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soap looks great even though it isn't what was planned. At least it is still useable!

    ReplyDelete