Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Yes

 Yesterday I got several questions in the comments about the paper pieces. As you can see, yes, you take them out before you sew the blocks down. It's a pretty easy job. They slip right out.


Yes, the paper pieces come already made. I got these from Connecting Threads with the kit but I usually get mine from Paper Pieces. They have a much larger selection and lots of inspiration. They also host some amazing quilt alongs.


 Today, with the blocks done and the papers out,  I wrestled with the background material.


 I can't sew a straight line with a sewing machine to save my life and working with those tiny strips was no fun. It took a few times to get them to an acceptable place. There is a tiny 1 inch green square in the center of those strips which was ridiculously fiddly to line up. You can't even see it so next time I'll skip it.


Now I am worried about those outside edges. I swear I cut the material to the right size but that's not giving me much to work with for the binding. Next time around I'm adding an extra half inch on all sides.

8 comments:

  1. It all looks wonderful to me. I've made four queen size quilts and a couple of wallhangings and I think that's it for me. I just don't have the patience. I can't wait to see yours all finished.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't sew straight either! I'd be nervous about the binding, too, but you will make it work. And it is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been curious about the paper part of it all - thanks for explaining. It is looking so beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it looks like they didn't allow enough room around the edges but just use a smaller seam allowance and you will do fine! It is SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like it might be tricky on those outside edges when it comes to the binding. But if anyone can do it you can. It sure is pretty so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IM terrible at straight lines. Is there hope for me? I love the look of the HIVE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I like seeing those paper pieces like that. Love the photos.

    ReplyDelete